Meetings with the thesis advisor or tutor can become really tense. A few months ago we conducted a study on academic stress and thesis, and found that the relationship with the advisor is usually one of the main factors that stress the thesis.
We know the uncertainty of knowing if you agree with the topic you chose, if you will recognize your effort, if you are interested in helping, if you will be patient and understanding, among other issues; It can affect your behavior during these important encounters.
And if in addition, the meetings are to receive feedback not so encouraging, surely the tension will increase completely.
However, remember that these meetings are to get the most out of you, so you must always participate actively in order to get valuable recommendations to advance and complete your thesis process.
For this reason, here are some simple tips that will surely make you get really successful meetings with your advisor.
- Listen carefully to what he says. Yes, it seems easy, but it is not. Because many times we only listen to after we can speak, but not as a way to put ourselves in the shoes of the other and understand and be interested in their position. Do not forget that this exercise in listening carefully will avoid misunderstandings in the future due to unattended recommendations or corrections that are not carried out correctly.
- Ask everything you can. Do not miss any doubt you have about your degree project; Many times these meetings are not very frequent and you should make the most of them. Also, when we ask, we tell our interlocutor that we are really interested in the conversation.
This does not mean you should talk more, remember to be short but substantial in your comments, questions or suggestions.
- Accept criticism about your thesis. Whether positive or negative, you must accept them, because your advisor has experience and knowledge on the subject, for something you chose; Surely if you see a good attitude in front of feedback, this will give you to understand that you are a person with clear intention to do a great job and get your title, and also that you value and respect their opinion.
Of course, you can always manifest some aspects in which you do not agree, just make sure you are right and do it in a good way.
- Do not complain, do not be discouraged. This is one of the worst mistakes you can make, because the message you will be transmitting is that you have lost interest and that you only work on the thesis because it touches you; In this way the advisor can start to see only the negative of your process.
- Manage good body language. Remember that our gestures speak for us along with the words, so always try the following:
- Make a lot of eye contact with your advisor to show that you are attentive.
- Do not cross your arms or lean on any surface like the table or the wall.
- Smile to show you comfortable during the meeting.
Conceal your nerves by taking a pen if your hands tremble, drinking water if your mouth is dry or breathing deeply if your voice trembles.
Move your head up and down by nodding your affirmations, this will make you see that you are understanding.
Avoid inappropriate gestures such as scratching your head, looking at your watch or yawning.
Do not forget that we are always publishing content to help you with the thesis process, so follow our publications and if you want us to write about a particular topic, leave it in the comments.
We also invite you to worry only about the content of your thesis, which is the most important, because we are experts in style correction and in APA, ICONTEC, VANCOUVER, etc. and we are here to collaborate.